Vicar: Rev Stuart Powell SSC


St Martin’s Vicarage

Dixon Street

Rough Hills

Wolverhampton  WV2 2BG

Tel: 01902 341030

webpage header ribbonWhite Hearder box
HomeAbout UsServicesEventsGalleryContact/Find UsLinks

Saint Stephen the Martyr

Hilton Street

Springfield

Wolverhampton

WV10 0LF

See of Ebbsfleet LogoChurch of England LogoLichfield Diocese Logo

Saint Martin of Tours

Dixon Street

Rough Hills

Wolverhampton

WV2 2BG

Universalis
Benefice of Wolverhampton LogoBenefice Facebook buttonCommunity Hall Facebook button

Welcome to the Benefice of Wolverhampton Saint Martin and Saint Stephen Website.

The Benefice of Wolverhampton St Martin and St Stephen is made up of two Anglo-Catholic churches. On the 1st December 2015 the benefice of St Martin of Tours, Rough Hills, Wolverhampton and the benefice of St Stephen the Martyr, Springfield, Wolverhampton, were united to create a new benefice to be known as The Benefice of Wolverhampton Saint Martin and Saint Stephen.

Copyright © 2018 The Benefice of Wolverhampton - All Rights Reserved  |  Privacy Policy

Benefice of Wolverhampton Saint Martin and Saint Stephen Banner

 Saint Stephen’s Parish

Subtitle Ribbon Benefice Logo Subtitle Ribbon

 Parish Boundaries

Benefice Logo St Martin's Statue St Stephen's War Memorial Subtitle ribbon

 Saint Martin’s Parish

Benefice Logo

ABOUT US

The parish of St. Martin’s was formed in the 1930’s to serve the Rough Hill Council Estate. As a result of the Marson Bequest the present church building was erected which was consecrated in 1939. According to the Church of England Statistics the parish population is 5,482.

From the beginning St. Martin’s had an Anglo-Catholic tradition.

In July 2017 a Parish Nurse project was established, based in the Church Hall, to support people and the community towards whole person healthcare. This is the care for the person’s overall well-being, incorporating body, mind and spirit. More information can be found by clicking here.

The parish of St. Stephen’s began in 1872 with an Iron Mission Church to serve the ‘Artisans’. Employment was provided by the Springfield Brewery (now closed), the Great Western Railway and London North Western Railway. The present church was consecrated in 1908. According to the Church of England Statistics the parish population is 4,197.

A church school was established and has recently formed St Stephen’s Church of England Multi Academy Trust, with Parkfield Primary School in St Martin’s Parish. Members of the congregation continue to sit at all levels of the MAT.

Since the early 1930’s St. Stephen’s has had a marked Catholic tradition.

After the decision in 1992 to ordain women priests the Parochial Church Council’s at both churches passed resolutions A & B and receive pastoral care from the Bishop of Ebbsfleet.

After the resignation of the Vicar of St. Stephen’s in 1992 the living was suspended. In March 1993 the then Vicar of St Martin’s (Fr. John Oakes) was licensed as Priest-in-charge whilst remaining Vicar of St. Martin’s.

The two parishes are not adjoined, being two miles apart. They are clearly two separate communities. Many of the residents of St. Martin’s parish look to Bilston rather than Wolverhampton as their local centre.

The connection between the two churches is based on their modern catholic tradition and their relationship to the Bishop of Ebbsfleet.

Both churches attract congregation from beyond their parish boundaries, especially since 1992, with people travelling from all over Wolverhampton and surrounding areas. There are a few that were formerly members of St. George’s and Christ Church both of which were closed in the 1960’s.

The congregations at both churches are racially mixed with black and white members including mixed race families.

Although people cross parish boundaries to attend the churches a number are former parishioners who have moved out of the parish but still wish to be part of the congregations. We are therefore pleased that we are able to serve not only the people within the Parish boundaries of Rough Hills and Springfield, but also meet the need of all who attend both churches. God has called us to ….